You Are Reading

Tuesday 11 December 2012

ISTD / Design Development


I knew the direction of my restaurants identity, I just needed to begin creating and adapting a logo that had been derived and influenced from type...and what better letters to begin working with than 'M' & 'Q'...Mutton Quad. My main aim for this crit was to have a developed logo that would reflect the Restaurants ethos.

As a starting point I gathered various colour schemes, colour schemes that were reflected in 'meat' and colour schemes that I could see working effectively in a restaurant environment, what really attracted me to this brief was the fact that I'd worked in a restaurant before which really helps me understand how everything works together to create that atmosphere, that identity and that experience. 


As a starting point I wanted to overlap the letters and create one singular, flowing letter. As you can see from the screenshots below, I've tried numerous layouts and tried various structure's that all looked quite solid standing and typographically influenced.

THE MANIPULATION OF TYPE...






With my identity in mind I knew that the full logo would be too complicated and overpowering to use as a sole identity, it needed to be simplified, something that consumers could look at and remember instantly...


I've thought of subtle ways I can introduce the theme of type without making it too in your face, I think the overuse of type in a restaurant environment would make it feel quite uncomfortable as you'd feel too much is going on around you... After investigation into various type definitions, 

After discovering the true meaning of these terms and the way they sounded together I thought I could incorporate the terms in how to the food is presented on the serving plates. "Flush on both the left and right margins" "The adjustment of horizontal space between pairs of characters to create a perception of uniformity" I also realised I could permeate these factors into how the food is presented on the serving plates, this will create a square body on the plate of food, which relates to the meaning of Mutton Quad. Noun.A Quad with a square body

Progress Crit - Reviewed by two peers.

Strengths

  • The concept & use of food positioning in the restaurant reflects the brand really well - good incorporation of type into food
  • How can this move forward & be applied in other aspects
  • Logo design is a good starting point, interesting manipulation of type, will work well across a range of products for consistent branding/ identity
  • Logo suits the idea of type anatomy - Structured.
Areas for Improvement

  • Would've liked to see starting point/ design development for logo, how it came about (I've just recently explained this in the above information)
  • Any other visual inspiration?
  • With target audience, even though not aimed at certain gender of age, make sure it is appropriate for children & families - next generation.
Considerations

  • Consider how typography elements will stretch across different parts of the restaurant
  • Consider what colour works?
  • Menu? Hows it going to look/ work?

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Leeds College of Art. Graphic Design.
 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.