You Are Reading

Saturday 7 September 2013

What is Good? Evaluation


1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them: 

Choosing to design an exhibition opened up various opportunities to better my skills because it was looking at all aspects of an event which needed graphic design injecting into it. This made it a very exciting experience because I was challenging my design capabilities, taking on numerous deliverables that would ultimately make one overall.

I improved my planning and measurements through the build of my 'resource box'. This was because I had to revisit the measurements multiple times to make sure everything would fit together perfectly especially as I was combining both perspex and wood. It was a tedious task that needed my attention, I'd worked with wood in the past, but never in this way before, I'd designed the box, so that when you took the last A4 document out of the box, you would be fronted with a hive under perspex. 

I also got to revisit my screen printing abilities, except this time, I was experimenting with two colours, something I'd not done before, I had to keep everything cleaner, neater and in order. Especially due to the fact that I was using one screen for these two colours.

Researching. Something that was always daunting, had I done enough? should I of started designing earlier? should I of undertook more primary? these were all questions I'd usually ask myself, however this time I knew I'd done enough, and I knew it had influenced my design direction. I think this was all down to the way the module was structured, it allowed us to  concentrate on research separately then undergo designing. I'd say the collation of my research during this module was excellent, I'd done everything I could really do and find myself knowing nearly too much about the honeybee.

Commercial Printing. Because I'd been experiencing a lot of difficulties and challenges in my path there was literally no way I could get my publications printed within university (due to extended deadlines & time constraints) therefore I needed to contrast and compare printing agencies, I decided to get my publications printed with Blurb which was an American Company but the quality of their prints seemed appropriate for my use. During this process, Blurb had messed up my order and after a string of conversations with one of their workers, they were happy to reduce the price of my shipping costs. Communicating appropriately showed me that it has its benefits rather than going off in a blind rage.

2. What approaches to methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process 

I've learnt to try and source products, materials & printed materials from other locations apart from university, the university is quite restricted in what you can achieve in a product range. My methods of design production have developed so that I want to try and push my product range as far as possible. For this module I sourced my books externally as well as finding certain products to complete the identity of my exhibition.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

Experimentation… I've turned my hand to almost every printing and design procedure, including; woodwork, craft, screen printing, vinyl cutting, embossing, debossing etc. I believe this was a strength when it came to delivering my finals because I had a much more refined outcome, rather than some processes that didn't really work amongst it all.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future ?

In my personal opinion there was only small weaknesses during this module, such as the positioning of the 'B' on the frontside of my staff uniform, or the centre placement of the logo on the publication. Apart from these I can only say that I could've done more… but then again I could've done less. I'd say the only key weakness to this module is the fact that I just designed interfaces, rather than challenging myself to produce an actual working web component.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

Investigate and create a more eye catching format for my publications - the confidence to experiment with my formats in a 3D sense.

Don't make plans that are too rigid that they don't allow room for scope - using Blurb meant my publications had to be sized and drawn in the size & format that they'd suggest.

Not be so serious - Have fun with it - although this doesn't sound academic, if I love what I'm doing, it'll show through to my outcomes, I've recently learnt not to take life too serious in general, you don't know what's around the corner so play and invent.

Not put too much time and emphasis into one area of my outcomes, that the other ones suffer.

Don't let the stress get to you, I work slower, I work sloppier, I work longer when I'm in such a state of mind.


Attendance - 4

Punctuality  - 5 

Motivation - 5

Commitment - 5

Quantity of work produced  - 5

Quality of work produced - 4

Contribution to the group -4

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Leeds College of Art. Graphic Design.
 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.