You Are Reading

Friday 24 May 2013

What is good? Initial Design Ideas

After my collation of research both primary and secondary, it was time to start developing a design direction, it came to my attention that I'd need to start getting the ball rolling on the production side of things if I was going to complete my deliverables in time. I'd solidified the fact that I was going to present all of my deliverables in a resource box that would be available to buy at the exhibition or online as a sort of beginners pack (this would be promoted through outdoor promotions)

Therefore I began on designing my resource box, planning the dimensions and unique aspects of it to hand over to woodwork, who would cut the sections of wood ready for myself to piece together and develop. 

I didn't want it to be JUST a box, I needed a USP that would make the box desirable. With the help of my research I knew that the hive was a unique exhibit that showcased the honeybee's lifestyle, so was there anyway I could incorporate this?

The image below shows my initial design ideas, as well as the development of my chosen design across different aspects of the exhibition including bus stops etc. & the planning of my resource box.


Making my direction crystal clear...


Digital experimentation... 

After developing the following design, it kind of opened my eyes up to the fact that I needed to keep my tone of voice quite serious and educational rather than comical (which the design below was suggestive of) therefore I altered my approach and went on to design something that I thought suited my tone of voice.









Colour alterations...





The great thing about the concept behind my logo, was that it could be used across a multitude of items, I had a great idea of using it on the back of staff uniforms with the concept; If you have any queries or questions, look out for the 'B's buzzing about.

The logo can also be applied to different areas of the exhibition for example; 'b' informed, 'b' social, 'b' healthy'.

Seeing the same logo plastered everywhere could become quite tedious so I've began to explore different approaches, adding a title to the logo and also generating a secondary logo to be used on the publications and promotional materials



For the exhibition to have a sense of realism, I needed a venue and it seemed the Natural History Museum was a plausible example, it has a past record of exhibiting such insects and holds exhibitions quite regularly. For each different event they host, they incorporate a design into their logo, I tried this approach with unsuccessful results... the connection wasn't strong enough for me and I felt it worked best when it was in its simplest (white & black) form.


Type experimentation - Sans serif typefaces just didn't communicate what I was aiming for, they were more suited for the top design which was a lot more casual and less serious. On the other hand Serif typefaces communicated a sense of seriousness and gave the identity a more refined look.


I've tried to incorporate the movement of a bee through the positioning of the text. 

You'll notice the 'P' has been slightly manipulated to suggest that it could also be an 'F', attaching two meanings to the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Leeds College of Art. Graphic Design.
 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.