You Are Reading

Friday 31 May 2013

What is good? Solidified Design direction

The ball was rolling, I was on my way to completing the identity for the exhibition and it was time to start experimenting with materials and concepts.

For the resource box, I was yet to find something suitable to resemble actual honeycomb so I began on the other aspects, including the perspex. This would act as the bottom of the box for the publications etc, once the viewer would of taken all this out, they'd be surprised by a replication of a honeybee hive, made visible by this layer of clear perspex. 

Instead of keeping this completely free of design, I wanted to initially use it as a canvas for a typographic poster, using reflective vinyl. In my imagination it looked quite striking with the replicated hive behind. However, along the way I ran into various issues, I found out that when using the vinyl cutter its advised to use Sans serif fonts with a block characteristic rather than thin serif typefaces such as Garamond. The aftermath can be seen below...



In the actual 'hive' itself, I wanted to use various types of honey to give it a more realistic and weathered look as oppose to a plastic / cheap appearance. You can see in the image below, that honey eventually becomes a solid mass, with this in mind, I had the idea to string the honey over each hexagonal shape hopefully giving it varying depths...


After laser cutting the side panels of my resource box, I decided to varnish the exterior. After this I knew It would make it easier to weather the box, giving it that traditional appearance which would work in synergy with my tone of voice within the exhibition.



Inside the hive, I wanted to use laser cut bee's which would decorate the surface of the honey / honeycomb, hopefully adding to the sense of realism, however due to the lack of planning on this aspect, the outcomes were quite shoddy. During the laser cut process, every single leg had been melted off due to their small / thin size.


Without the honeybee's, the hive would be incomplete. In order to regain the qualities of the resource box, I tried to think of anything that would look better than real honeybee's...and couldn't think of anything that would add such a striking effect when noticed, therefore I set myself the task of gathering some dead honeybee's from a park nearby. Due to the time of season it was very easy to find honeybee's, a large proportion of worker bee's were out pollinating (as you can see below).



Experimenting with embossing / debossing. (Letterhead design)



Although the effect looked quite attractive, up close the wooden pieces were splintering and disrupting the overall piece of paper, leaving marks and blemishes. Due to the time constraints I couldn't develop this approach any further, in hindsight I wish I'd used perspex and not applied as much pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Leeds College of Art. Graphic Design.
 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.