You Are Reading

Tuesday 20 November 2012

Design For Print - Design Direction

Idea generation; front cover ideas...


I want the publication to be informative and serve a purpose to myself as a designer, I want to be able to refer back to the content and think 'aah thats what that meant' or 'I knew there was another way' After careful consideration and concentrating on getting my content right, I think I'm finally ready to begin putting my designs together. 

After seeing other peoples progressions on the design aspect, I don't really think using photographs helps in any way (unless its for instructional purposes) therefore I've proposed to myself to create simple but effective diagrams that fit with the theme of my approach.

Clear Perspex. Container Lid. Laser Cut design.

Initial draft design/ bottom left and right alterations.



Wood. Container/ Side decoration. Laser Cut Design.


First attempt; At first I was vaguely happy with the outcome, but as I took a step back and came back to the design, I thought it looked really novice and had to undergo a big change!


I'm already a huge fan of the work adidas does, and once I'd seen this design, I was instantly influenced to try and create something similar regarding perspective.




The perspective grid tool was a new feature to CS5 and I hadn't really experimented with it yet, the only experience I had of it was trying to get it off my screen once I'd accidentally clicked on it!

After arranging my perspective and transforming their angles I was able to produce the designs below. In my opinion they were a massive improvement from the initial design. The font I'd selected for the front of my container 'Franchise Bold' worked perfectly for this approach...

Inside wrapper for my container/ Could be presented on either sugar paper or James' matte paper in the print dungeon...I've altered the opacity to 50% of its original, this is because I don't want the colours to be too overpowering against the texture and tone of the wood, or take any attention away from the booklets inside. 

I really wanted the box to be as eye catching and engaging as possible so I thought a bright colour combination and simple front design would work in combination with the style of its container...







As a potential idea I wanted to create a very faint print of the design below on thin tissue paper or tracing paper through either screen printing or digital printing.



I want my booklets to work as a series of A formats, this will give the viewer a solid understanding of paper sizes, this feature is also emphasised on the perspex lid with a diagram of paper sizes. Initially I wanted to just design 3 A4 booklets and one colour swatch, but as times progressed, I've realised that this wouldn't be the best way at all! Instead I'm reformatting my designs to fit perfectly onto; 
2x A4
1x A5
1x A6
Using the scaling tool in Illustrator and the knowledge that every A size is half of its elder, I descaled my designs e.g; From A4 - I'd scale the document down by 71

Document Set-up/ Printer marks/ Registration


Planning my booklets... Due to the different formats I'll be producing, I had to make sure everything was planned and organised otherwise I'd run into problems when it came to printing, I developed a handheld booklet, containing all the relevant information in terms of what was going on what page, and how long each booklet would be. (Each colour represents the front page colour of each booklet)


Elements of Design

If my idea was going to work, I had to make each part of the design consistent and work as an overall set, this is the main reason for the approach I've taken for the contents of each booklet. Ultimately I'll be using the contents as a useful tool and reference in the future myself so I thought it would be useful to include some references and commercial information on different weights/ prices and types of different types of business cards.

For each booklet, I want the inside contents to run as a consistent theme based on the colours of the front covers. The screenshots below demonstrate where I'm coming from...












No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Leeds College of Art. Graphic Design.
 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.