You Are Reading

Wednesday 13 February 2013

Responsive / Creative brief - Leeds Brewery


Mandatory - I had to include the 'Creative Networks' emblem and also incorporate the name of the beer, its percentage and type, i.e. Pale Bitter. Although I've messed around with the layout of my design, nothings been solidified, I'm still yet to incorporate the percentage and ale type.

Characteristics - The skull is meant to be reminiscent of the spicy taste the bottle holds, further emphasised by the streaks of fire at the sides of the badge.

The owl is a significant resemblance of Leeds and was originally used in the Leeds coat of arms.

The inspiration to create such a design stems from my initial research where I've observed the workings of a 'Gargoyle' beer.

After some re-consideration I've realised I need to simplify my approach or consider potential BRIGHT & ATTRACTIVE colour schemes...

Alternative draft... 


Front beer labels - Complimenting 'Creative Networks'. After some development I realised I was creating too much work for myself and had to simplify the design, I got rid of the more detailed parts, simply because at a smaller scale they wouldn't be as visible or striking. I made the main focus of my labels 'Creative networks' and have adapted a traditional approach into a more contemporary and modern looking nature.


Because I wasn't really sure how the drawing would turn out, I thought it would be worth beginning an alternative design, this meant if the drawing did go down the drain, I'd have something else to submit before the deadline.

With this approach I intend on making 'Hellfire' the main concentration as oppose to the Creative Networks events of 2013.



At this stage, I feel the brown works best as a background colour for the label because the actual current bottles of hellfire are a dark brown. The lighter background brown makes the labels evident and compliments the designs white / clear attributes. However, after some consideration I realised that Brown probably wasn't the best choice of colour, simply because it didn't really say much about the contents of the beer, if anything, brown signified a bland and traditional flavour when 'Hellfire' was quite the opposite.

I'm hoping the detail/ block character of the design will draw people in, my thinking behind the 'brown' label was simply portray colours that would be reminiscent of fire...oranges, reds, browns.


The width of the beer label has been kept the same however I decided to alter the height of the label, bringing it up a bit, resulting in a more square shaped label. This was because I think it would be more economical to use less space on a beer label that generally isn't needed, it also gives it some differentiation when set against other beers.

Beer mats



Beer lids, I went for quite a more dramatic & obvious approach with the lids, making them brighter to see against darker bottles and when mixed among other bottles//...

Beer labels




Overall I'm happy with the way the designs came together, The only things I was a bit wary of, were the bolts of fire and the top wrap-around showcasing Leeds Brewery. At first I thought the wrap-around was a bit too simplistic but then after taking a step back, I realised I didn't need to develop it, it does its function and also sits well against other bottles, clearly displaying the brewer of the beer.

After taking a step back from this brief, I've returned to it with a fresh state of mind...

The benefit of such a structural format meant I could take certain aspects of it too create something new, such as this introductory board which will hopefully be showcasing the beer.


Changing the layout and composition of the label gave it that edge...

The lower label paid respects to the events it would be promoting, whereas the upper label clearly promotes the brewer of the beer. The split between labels adds that sense of difference and causes a unique attraction when placed in a row/ shelf view.


Shelf view.


Front


Back

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Leeds College of Art. Graphic Design.
 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.