You Are Reading

Tuesday 8 January 2013

ISTD / Design Development

Through my investigation of emblems and badges, I thought the best starting point would be too work with circular shapes and incorporate the title of my restaurant following the curve of the circles... 


Working out a colour scheme...

I was fairly attracted to the dark and luxurious feel that the design holds below, the only thing wrong I thought was the overuse of these types of colours in high end restaurants. It also didn't really have a meaning behind it...relating to a restaurant.





Reasons for using a predominately orange colour scheme...

"Orange is a power colour. It is one of the healing colours. It is said to increase the craving for food. It also stimulates enthusiasm and creativity. Orange means vitality with endurance."

Initial developments of the pattern I created which combines the the MQ design in an exotic fashion.


On the starters I decided to include a 'special dish' that relates to the colour scheme predominately used... Homemade Apricot Jam.

Menu idea: To include a stronger, more explicit relation to the type side of things, I used the Cap height, X-height and baseline to hold the titles of the menu's categories; Starters, Mains, Desserts.





Website index/ homepage design mock-up


Last minute I decided to incorporate the stages/manipulation of type the letters went through before I formed the structured format that is now the logo for the brand identity.

Examples of how I'd serve the food in a contemporary way that also permeates a sense of tradition. The difference between these servings and those of my restaurants would be the positioning of the food...



The sub-title of my restaurants branding is; JUSTIFIED KERNING

The reason for this being - the positioning of my food and designs.

After understanding the meaning of these typographic terms I began visualising text that was flushed on both sides with a look of uniformity. I applied this visual to the idea of food which creates an aid of visualisation.


This subtle use of type also relates back to the restaurant title -Mutton Quad which means "a quad with a square body;" - http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=mutton%20quad


The inside spine of my menu's would be the brands recognisable colour, this means when the menu is shut you will see a slight part of the top and bottom bits of the inside spine, and because I've used a fairly dark colour scheme It will hopefully highlight the brand itself.


The design sheet helped me plan and organise the elements of my identity; including the promotional leaflet, the letterhead and the business card.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Leeds College of Art. Graphic Design.
 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.