You Are Reading

Thursday 24 January 2013

ISTD / Print considerations

This blogpost investigates the preparation of my prints and the developments of print...

As a testing of stock I selected a cartridge sort of paper with soft dimples in it to see how the ink sat on it but it was printed off a roll of paper as oppose to a piece of paper, because the stock was quite thick it wasn't so easy to get rid of the bend in the piece of paper without leaving some form of an impression.


For the menu cover I wanted to gold foil the title and logo, I'd positioned these aspects specifically on the design so that they fitted in the structure of the background design, I marked paper and printed to see which way the paper was going to come out of the printer when I came to use the paper by GF smith...I also sent off for a cotton white piece of paper by Fedrigoni



Vinyl Stickers / testing them out in different contexts gave me some ideas of what I could actually apply the design too, these stickers could also be applied to the shop front displays and surrounding attributes...





The stickers aren't as effective on textured surfaces as the textures make it harder for the vinyl to stick down, giving off a lumpy impression.


As border decorations in the toilets or something similar, you could place a uniform row of the stickers on a horizontal line, the strip of cement in the picture below demonstrates this well.


First thoughts for the front of the Menu; I gathered some paper from Fedrigoni to use for the inside of the menu, and two pieces of brown paper from GF smith.


Century Cotton White 220 gsm


As you can see below the design for the menu was unsuccessful in my eyes, the gold foiling was harder to pick up because it was on a more textured surface, I chose this specific paper because it was very luxurious and felt nice when handled, it was also quite a thick piece of stock which meant it would take some wear and tear before you needed new menu's.




During the print process my double sided promotional leaflets and business cards came out just under a mm, the difference isn't so obvious on the most of them however some you can sort of see the positioning of the logo isn't exactly central. On the letterhead the ink from the printer had left a mark of sprayed ink meaning I had to re-print so it was lucky Fedrigoni had sent me a few copies of the paper


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Leeds College of Art. Graphic Design.
 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.