You Are Reading

Tuesday 29 January 2013

OUGD 504 Evaluation.

OUGD 504 Evaluation

1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them: 


Throughout this module I've tried to be more ambitious with my outcomes as oppose to sticking with 2D format, broadening my methods of design production has certainly encouraged my creativity, although everything didn't go as smoothly as I'd wished (such as embossing) it was important to keep myself experimenting and learning new things! At the beginning of the year I was keen to use the laser cutter until it became a habit, I wouldn't say I relied on it at all but I'd always be thinking 'Would it look better engraved'. I've managed to move away from this and try my hand at various print processes throughout this module. In terms of skills, the most obvious would be designing for web, creating a website that was functional and efficient. I started very basic and began introducing more complex aspects of coding, such as the 'lightbox', the more I organised and developed my coding, the more confident I was to experiment, introducing aspects such as favicons. But the most important skill I'd picked up from web design, was preparation. Developing wire frames and site index's really helped the navigation of my websites become effective. During this module I've allowed myself to let the design process influence and inform my designing, this was something I'd struggled with in the first year because I'd never really let the conceptual or design process influence my design idea, I'd rigidly stuck to a design until I was happy with the outcome. Moving away from this trait has helped me answer the brief more specifically, digest peer feedback and target my audience more effectively.

2. What approaches to methods methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process 

In terms of print processes I'd say my strongest development was experimenting with new procedures, I learnt more from my mistakes than I did when procedures went smoothly, for e.g; I'd never used gold foiling before and thought I'd introduce myself to it using the quicker method (due to time constraints) of applying heat to foiling, the heat of the laminator binds the foil to the black ink, but because of my unfamiliarity with this process, myself and a few other peers used the foiling on the wrong side and realised it had produced a very varnished effect...similar to spot varnish, a useful concept for future reference! I also tried my hand at embossing and feel much more confident to produce successful results in the future. At first, new methods of design production are always daunting but once I've completed the procedures I always feel like I can return and even combine different methods of production to better my work.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?


My ability of coding has definitely become a strength through this module, I managed to do a lot of research into Java and apply different elements into my coding that wouldn't of been possible if I hadn't exhausted my investigation into web. I've identified different print processes and began to move up the creative ladder in terms of producing clearer and more understandable design boards. I've exhausted a range of products for 504 and also learnt a lot from 'Design for Print', taking the information and applying it in context has improved the way I put together my work, taking into consideration stocks and binding methods.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future


I haven't exhausted all of my options, I could've experimented more with different stocks, different design processes and different concepts! Better preparation for crits needs to be put into action so I can receive more effective feedback!

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?


1. More idea generation/ design sheets - generating a clearer concept.
2. Continuously write TO DO lists! - organise my time more effectively
3. Book print slots early on in the briefs - eliminating the need for drop ins
4. Prepare for crits/ clearer design boards - better and more focused feedback
5. Start completing mid-evaluations - gaining a better understanding of my progress.


How would you grade yourself in the following areas (5 - excellent to 1 - poor):
  • Attendance: 4
  • Punctuality: 5
  • Motivation: 4
  • Commitment: 4
  • Quantity of work: 3/4
  • Quality of work: 4
  • Commitment to the group: 3


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Leeds College of Art. Graphic Design.
 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.