You Are Reading

Monday 15 April 2013

Responsive / Feel Good Drinks / Brief 1

After a lot of research into the market of healthy drinks and 'feel good' designs, it was apparent that my illustrations had to offer something different from the simply, cute, emotive designs you often see on adverts such as Ribena. As a starting point I began constructing a shape for my label. I knew from my research during 'Hellfire' that bottle labels can take almost any shape and size. Given the wideness and height of the 'Feel Good' bottles already, I knew that I should create fruit shaped labels, this decision was based on my research in 'Design Context'.


The leaf was the instant signifier to the audience, telling them they're viewing a healthy fruit juice.
In order to get the proportions right I planned out where the leaf would fit perfectly without disrupting the structure of the design.




Appropriate colour schemes for leafs...




Applying gradients and textures initially gave my designs a sense of realism, the only problem was that this would make things more difficult if it came to getting the designs industrially printed. The colours could end up quite murky



I must admit I found it much more time efficient when it came to developing my illustrations on-screen, Usually a sketch would take hours to perfect, yet here I was using simply shapes to create my own cartoon. Once I'd got the basics of the characters face, I was able to quickly manipulate certain sections, giving the illustration a different personality and appearance.


In the assets of the brief I was provided with the existing label designs, this came in useful because I could use my designs on the current 'Feel Good' badges which can be seen in the image below.



From this point onwards, my main aim was to distinguish what type of bottle labels would be most suitable, I could incorporate clear labels that would almost disappear as your drink emptied. This would imply that that juice is full of happiness and flavour because when the bottles full...you can clearly see the happy expression on the label, but when it's emptied...the expression disappears.




Would using a border bring out the design more and make it more appealing? I think it would definitely serve a purpose of attraction but I really didn't want to ruin the look I was going for, In my opinion I think the border makes the logo look trapped and you lose the sense of attraction to the character and relate to the effect of the white border...could possibly work if they were all placed on top of one another, a blend of white and colour might turn out good?



Using the information provided in the brief I began ordering the information and making it work in relation to the shape of the label.


In the brief it states 'We're a fan of outdoor campaigns' Using the fruit in such a way gave way to a range of ideas that would be suitable for brief 2! As a starting point I began to pencil out a Point of Sale display but then thought...it's too normal and too boring! This is when I turned my ideas towards the urban environment. Where can advertisements be placed...where no one can ignore them? In the Public space! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Leeds College of Art. Graphic Design.
 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.